Skip to main content

Silence of the Crows

Like children in school disciplined by the strict rules, we went through the many decades old Aurobindo Ashram’s main entrance ducking our heads, finger on our lips. There was a winding path dotted with meticulously arranged flower pots and a 20 feet cactus which somehow managed to still have most of its limbs or thorns was it? withstanding the recent storm that blew over the city leaving a mark on virtually every tree and billboard in the city. The cactus seemed like an unlikely victor.

Unlikely was the stalk silence as we went deeper and deeper into the winding path. There were cranky old but alert men at every turn, guiding the line firmly but silently almost like those line men in a tennis match, waiting to raise their hand at the slightest hint of the ball skipping the line. There was no scope for a John McEnro here.  
As we walked further to the tomb at the center of the portico, I saw a giggle, almost a muffled laughter desperately held on by the lips pressing each other as if in disagreement with the smiling cheeks which tried to stretch and pull them apart. The boy moving the flower pots was amused and looked like someone playing a prank on all of us.

But what prank could this be?
The tomb was big enough to fit in at least 4 burials of mortals … but these were no mortals … they were the Aurobindos. Few had the unique technique to pray on the tomb … kneel down, arms stretched and head down. Should I do the same or just stand and fold arms? I glanced at the line men, they didn’t seem concerned. I folded my arms and moved on. As we looked for a place under the tentacles of the old tree covering the entire portico, its branches held on by cement columns, visibly losing out to the sturdy cactus in the recent storm contest, we waded through the not so silent gaze of the devotees and tourists alike who had already taken up their spot in the shade.

Unlike the silence when you dip your head in water, this was more like an absence of just one particular kind of sound … that was that of the human voice. The crow’s ka ka, the old man’s slippers rubbing against the floor while walking, the sound of a utensil tumble and a distant horn of a car were all but saturating the air to make it interesting enough and to not miss the human voice.
There is something with silence that makes us want to relax or be suddenly willing to close our eyes and try not to think. We did just that. Tracked our breath to the last muscle movement in our abdomen and chest cavity to squinting our closed eyes as if to see something sitting on our noses, all the while listening to the silence around us.

A few moments past, the thoughts returned asking if it was long enough of squinting? Are others sitting next to you still relaxing? Is the crow above me trying to relieve itself? Relenting to these thoughts, I opened my eyes.

The tall lanky European girl sitting in front of me, had tucked under her, a semi circular black air pillow like thing which made her tall frame even taller while sitting. Is this her way of reaching higher consciousness?  The pillow had written on it “Mobile Meditator”.

I concurred, the body and mind relax in many surprising ways.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Miss D

"You'll look sooo stupid if you tell this to someone" I chuckled to myself trying to sleep at Terminal 2E of Paris airport. With more than four hours to wait for my flight to Atlanta, all I could think of, was Ms D or rather "Miss" D. So, who was Miss D? As any bachelor in his mid 20s, returning back from an India vacation, foreseeing the daily grind of work that awaits him, wondering why his hair is mysteriously thinning and witnessing the loss of his friends to their wives or work, would feel, I … had this sudden urge to find "the one" for myself. Rather than planning it, I had always wished it would be a random coincidence. Like, finding someone on the plane next to me! With that silly wish, I boarded the Bangalore-Paris flight at 2AM. As I walked to my seat 21B, the silly wish kept me distracted from the sadness of leaving family and friends behind, in the hope that it may come true. No less than a miracle ... it did come true! There she was, on 21

one line of fame

"Hey I know that guy", says Abid, a good friend of mine, when he sees a familiar face in the car in fornt. He honks as if to say "Hi". The frightened guy in the car takes off his muslim cap immediately. Repercussions of the fight against terror ... eh? However, a different kind of fight was on in the Smoky Mountains. And the trees were losing it ... well ... colorfuly. The colors of fall were so vivid and everywhere, that one time, I did feel like "I don't believe this is true, these americans can do anything to get tourists". A few weeks later I realized that it was not so, when the trees in front of my appartment did the same color change trick ;-) And a few more weeks later, all that the naked trees had to show off were empty bird nests. Winter was winning ... well ... colorlessly. Always be nice to the man with a pen and paper on the cricket field. He might be the scorer or as in my case, a newspaper reporter who gave me my " one line of fame

Mohegan Sun

Such is the detail of the painting on the wall ... that, I discover a new meaning or a hidden image every time I ... well ... every time I take a leak! Yep, its hung on the office restroom wall so that its about 8 inches from the leaker's face. It's as if by design, to get your 100% attention when you are at your most relaxed 50 seconds of the day. Jeez! ... think of it ... this would have been the artist's dream come true ... audience's undivided attention ... several times over in a day. The entire purpose of pin-drop quite art galleries bang in the middle of the most expensive real estate in virtually every major city of the world ... replicated to perfection, in the restroom. But an art collector after buying an artist's work, saying "Well Sir, as a mark of my appreciation, I'll be hanging this in my office restroom", would surely not go down well with any artist. Why? ... because it's not obvious enough. What's obvious enough is ... the