Skip to main content

Miss D

"You'll look sooo stupid if you tell this to someone"

I chuckled to myself trying to sleep at Terminal 2E of Paris airport. With more than four hours to wait for my flight to Atlanta, all I could think of, was Ms D or rather "Miss" D.

So, who was Miss D?

As any bachelor in his mid 20s, returning back from an India vacation, foreseeing the daily grind of work that awaits him, wondering why his hair is mysteriously thinning and witnessing the loss of his friends to their wives or work, would feel, I … had this sudden urge to find "the one" for myself. Rather than planning it, I had always wished it would be a random coincidence. Like, finding someone on the plane next to me!

With that silly wish, I boarded the Bangalore-Paris flight at 2AM. As I walked to my seat 21B, the silly wish kept me distracted from the sadness of leaving family and friends behind, in the hope that it may come true.

No less than a miracle ... it did come true!

There she was, on 21A. Her face hidden behind the veils of her dark straight hair … her eyes sneaking through her drooping locks, anxious and shy. That … was Miss D.

I was unusually uncomfortable sitting next to her. May be it was the excitement of a wish coming true. We didn’t talk for the first 6 hours which was also the “sleeping time” in the plane as all lights were put out. The ice breaker happened when my blanket somehow had got under her seat and with a little nudge from her, the blanket and our conversation alike, came free.

The next couple of hours just flew by and before we knew it, we were on Paris airfield. I was beginning to realize that in a few minutes we’ll part our ways and say our good byes like it always happens with friends you make during travel.

But just then, when everyone got up from their seats to get off the plane, I realized that even she had four hours of wait time, and in a hasty moment, I asked her if she would like to spend some more time together at the airport. The haste had made me inarticulate and sloppy. I paid the ultimate price.

She said “Don’t worry about it” twice, and left.

Embarrassed and rejected, I needed a place to hide. I headed to Terminal 2E without a second glance, all the while debating with myself, which among “A Jerk” or “A Schmuck”, would Miss D choose to label me as.

An hour passed, and I finally began to get Miss D out of my head, and then, I did something that I do only while waiting at airports … read a book. 93 pages through, with the announcement of the Atlanta flight, I was all set for another 8 hours of travel.

This time, it was a different wish.

I settled down in my seat 40A. A few moments later, all passengers onboard, I looked to my right … seat 40B … was vacant.

I smiled and said to myself, “Two wishes in a row” … “I sure am lucky” :-)

Take care and keep smiling,
Raghu
http://bignbullish.blogspot.com/

PS: If ever, the real Miss D reads this blog, then .. "I'm sorry Miss D"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Raghu,
You have written your experience well.
Hmmmmmm, you will find Miss D through your father ;-)
Raghu said…
@kavitha
haha ... that may very soon be true ;-) ... fingers crossed
all the best da. I pray for you.I think you should enjoy your current life for 2 more years. My opinion :-)
naveen said…
:-) "mysterious loss of friends to their wives and work"....Nice
Thejas Rajaram said…
hehehe..... nice one....

my experience on the first time flight was somewhat similar .. but i dinn try the chivalry though ;)

nice expressions used ...feel good blog :D
AK said…
Remember, three years back when we were exchanging mails, then also you had spoken about finding that "Special Someone" ;o) All the very best to you, hope you get that special someone very soon ;o)
Raghu said…
@naveen
hehe ... thats a common feeling between us :)
Raghu said…
@teju
I'm sure if you had shown chivalry, aaa kathe berenee aagthithu ;)
Raghu said…
@ಮನಸ್ವಿನಿ
dHanyavaada ಮನಸ್ವಿನಿ :)
Raghu said…
@akshatha
Oh yeah I remember those emails, majaa itthu ;) I still have the gmail label that I had created for ur emails then :)

Adsari, neenu skhaathaagi blog bareetheeya ... nange heLlee illa. Neway will follow ur posts from now on .. keep them comming :)
shamitbagchi said…
Hey Raghu, very well written and I liked the style; especially this part:
"and with a little nudge from her, the blanket and our conversation alike, came free."
Keep up the blogging .. !!
Raghu said…
thank you shamit :)
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

one line of fame

"Hey I know that guy", says Abid, a good friend of mine, when he sees a familiar face in the car in fornt. He honks as if to say "Hi". The frightened guy in the car takes off his muslim cap immediately. Repercussions of the fight against terror ... eh? However, a different kind of fight was on in the Smoky Mountains. And the trees were losing it ... well ... colorfuly. The colors of fall were so vivid and everywhere, that one time, I did feel like "I don't believe this is true, these americans can do anything to get tourists". A few weeks later I realized that it was not so, when the trees in front of my appartment did the same color change trick ;-) And a few more weeks later, all that the naked trees had to show off were empty bird nests. Winter was winning ... well ... colorlessly. Always be nice to the man with a pen and paper on the cricket field. He might be the scorer or as in my case, a newspaper reporter who gave me my " one line of fame

Mohegan Sun

Such is the detail of the painting on the wall ... that, I discover a new meaning or a hidden image every time I ... well ... every time I take a leak! Yep, its hung on the office restroom wall so that its about 8 inches from the leaker's face. It's as if by design, to get your 100% attention when you are at your most relaxed 50 seconds of the day. Jeez! ... think of it ... this would have been the artist's dream come true ... audience's undivided attention ... several times over in a day. The entire purpose of pin-drop quite art galleries bang in the middle of the most expensive real estate in virtually every major city of the world ... replicated to perfection, in the restroom. But an art collector after buying an artist's work, saying "Well Sir, as a mark of my appreciation, I'll be hanging this in my office restroom", would surely not go down well with any artist. Why? ... because it's not obvious enough. What's obvious enough is ... the