Skip to main content

Springtime for Hitler

As I rode on my bicycle after a snail paced day at office, I couldn't help miss the look on the faces of my neighbours in cars. What were they thinking? ... wow! cool bike .. Or .. bike? what a looser.

As hard it was to figure that out, harder was the tag on my apartment door. It said "Flowers for you delivered at the reception". Now I wouldn't mind a secret admirer, but what would she admire about? ... how well I manage without any furniture? or the minimum 3 wides I bowl every over? or the shape of my chapattis? I rushed to Missy (the receptionist) to collect the flowers ... with a smile she said ... "Oh! I didn't even see the name ... soooorrrryyyy". It was for Mr.Young, previous resident of #209.

"I never thought I'll buy a Calvin Klein", I said. "Yeah and I never thought I'll fly", said BG (Deepak BG actually, my college buddy and host in NY), as we sat down to empty the 1 giga bytes of memories in the camera onto the laptop ... silly poses with harmless celebrity wax models at Madame Tussaud's, atop Empire State and Rockfeller Centre buildings, at Times Square, Statue of Liberty and Broadway ... all the chores of a new visitor to NY, digitized and safe.

Soon I was getting bored of tall buildings and viewing them from roof-tops of taller buildings. A relaxing Vanilla Cafe at Starbucks felt much better. But the best was yet to come ...

The fantabulous Broadway show ...
The Producers.

Ok "fantabulous" means "Of the highest quality" :-). I felt like I should enroll into
Rangashankara as soon as I'm back home :-), not that I have the talent for it, but I was inspired by the immaculate articulation of music and visual artistry. I had never imagined that a stage could metamorphose into so many things so quick ... where was the space for all of it? and where were the actors hiding?

Next time you are in NY or London ... beg borrow steal ... watch a Broadway show. And yeah the girls are hot! ;-)

NY made me feel right at home, cuz there were soo many Indian/Indian-like faces wherever I went. Times Square reminded me of Brigade Road (only the buildings were taller) ... and also how I always used to unexpectedly find someone I recognized everytime I went there. I wished I could find someone on the streets of NY like that.

And my wish came true!

Satti (now doing MS in NY) pops up from nowhere as we were waiting for the July 4th fireworks show to begin. Now if only I knew wishes came true, my wish would have been lot more specific ;-)

Final bill, about $600 including my pencil sketch portrait by a chinese woman in Times Square.

To one of the best trips I've had till now ... Cheers New York! :-)

Untill next time ... ciao
Raghu

PS:
The subject line is a song from The Producers ... other contenders for the subject line were "That's our Hitler", "Now Ulla dance" and "Where did we go right?" .. hehe :-)

Checkout some
videos here :-)


Written on Jul 10, 2006 10:00 PM


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss D

"You'll look sooo stupid if you tell this to someone" I chuckled to myself trying to sleep at Terminal 2E of Paris airport. With more than four hours to wait for my flight to Atlanta, all I could think of, was Ms D or rather "Miss" D. So, who was Miss D? As any bachelor in his mid 20s, returning back from an India vacation, foreseeing the daily grind of work that awaits him, wondering why his hair is mysteriously thinning and witnessing the loss of his friends to their wives or work, would feel, I … had this sudden urge to find "the one" for myself. Rather than planning it, I had always wished it would be a random coincidence. Like, finding someone on the plane next to me! With that silly wish, I boarded the Bangalore-Paris flight at 2AM. As I walked to my seat 21B, the silly wish kept me distracted from the sadness of leaving family and friends behind, in the hope that it may come true. No less than a miracle ... it did come true! There she was, on 21

one line of fame

"Hey I know that guy", says Abid, a good friend of mine, when he sees a familiar face in the car in fornt. He honks as if to say "Hi". The frightened guy in the car takes off his muslim cap immediately. Repercussions of the fight against terror ... eh? However, a different kind of fight was on in the Smoky Mountains. And the trees were losing it ... well ... colorfuly. The colors of fall were so vivid and everywhere, that one time, I did feel like "I don't believe this is true, these americans can do anything to get tourists". A few weeks later I realized that it was not so, when the trees in front of my appartment did the same color change trick ;-) And a few more weeks later, all that the naked trees had to show off were empty bird nests. Winter was winning ... well ... colorlessly. Always be nice to the man with a pen and paper on the cricket field. He might be the scorer or as in my case, a newspaper reporter who gave me my " one line of fame

Mohegan Sun

Such is the detail of the painting on the wall ... that, I discover a new meaning or a hidden image every time I ... well ... every time I take a leak! Yep, its hung on the office restroom wall so that its about 8 inches from the leaker's face. It's as if by design, to get your 100% attention when you are at your most relaxed 50 seconds of the day. Jeez! ... think of it ... this would have been the artist's dream come true ... audience's undivided attention ... several times over in a day. The entire purpose of pin-drop quite art galleries bang in the middle of the most expensive real estate in virtually every major city of the world ... replicated to perfection, in the restroom. But an art collector after buying an artist's work, saying "Well Sir, as a mark of my appreciation, I'll be hanging this in my office restroom", would surely not go down well with any artist. Why? ... because it's not obvious enough. What's obvious enough is ... the