Skip to main content

one line of fame

"Hey I know that guy", says Abid, a good friend of mine, when he sees a familiar face in the car in fornt. He honks as if to say "Hi". The frightened guy in the car takes off his muslim cap immediately. Repercussions of the fight against terror ... eh?

However, a different kind of fight was on in the Smoky Mountains. And the trees were losing it ... well ... colorfuly. The colors of fall were so vivid and everywhere, that one time, I did feel like "I don't believe this is true, these americans can do anything to get tourists". A few weeks later I realized that it was not so, when the trees in front of my appartment did the same color change trick ;-) And a few more weeks later, all that the naked trees had to show off were empty bird nests. Winter was winning ... well ... colorlessly.

Always be nice to the man with a pen and paper on the cricket field.

He might be the scorer or as in my case, a newspaper reporter who gave me my "
one line of fame". I'm glad he didn't try to understand the game and players too much. Had he done that, my bowling records, surely, would have had that "one line of fame" erased ;-)

My San Francisco trip to vist my uncle and aunt was the closest to being with family in the past 6 months. Add to that, awesome home cooked sea food ... can't beat that! :-) The
Golden Gate Bridge, twisting Lombard Street, Yosemite National Park and Monterey Bay Aquarium were a welcome break from the tall buildings that I usually end up in when visiting a new city.

Among the countless topics on which we had chatted on, I took home the one where my aunt suggested a way of sleeping in office ;-) The most useful one, as I see it.

Its pretty simple ... put one elbow on the desk, rest your chin on the palm of your hand and look straight into the monitor ... and ... slooooooooowly close ur eyes. A passerby would hardly have any clue.

I decided to give it a try.

Now, I really didn't have difficulty in deciding when to do it, cuz, any day after 2:30pm would be perfect. But had doubts about how good I can be at it. A few short trial-runs later, with the newly acquired confidence, I decided to give it a long shot this time.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet it was :-)

In those moments, I didn't have any other needs in life ... but just to let this go on and on and on. And it did ... without a single elbow drop or chin slip. Sometime later, completely satisfied, I woke up ... only to see a disaster right in front of my eyes.

The screensaver was on! ... and I didn't know for how long!

Take care and keep smiling,
Raghu
http://bignbullish.blogspot.com

Checkout some Smoky Mountains
pics and videos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
One line may turn to many lines .. or pages ..
lemme know when it does

--Kesh
Anonymous said…
Maga, dont u know the technique of sleeping with your eyes open even after 20 years of brain damaging Education?? ... &*##!!! ... High time you learnt it!! Helps a lot!

- mitti
Raghu said…
@Kesh .. yeah and when it does happen, lets hope its for all the right reasons ;-)

@mitti .. brain damaging education! hehe .. teachers! leave the brain alone ;-)
Anonymous said…
Hallo! ;)
wow... what demented comments!
what do U think about it?

Popular posts from this blog

Miss D

"You'll look sooo stupid if you tell this to someone" I chuckled to myself trying to sleep at Terminal 2E of Paris airport. With more than four hours to wait for my flight to Atlanta, all I could think of, was Ms D or rather "Miss" D. So, who was Miss D? As any bachelor in his mid 20s, returning back from an India vacation, foreseeing the daily grind of work that awaits him, wondering why his hair is mysteriously thinning and witnessing the loss of his friends to their wives or work, would feel, I … had this sudden urge to find "the one" for myself. Rather than planning it, I had always wished it would be a random coincidence. Like, finding someone on the plane next to me! With that silly wish, I boarded the Bangalore-Paris flight at 2AM. As I walked to my seat 21B, the silly wish kept me distracted from the sadness of leaving family and friends behind, in the hope that it may come true. No less than a miracle ... it did come true! There she was, on 21

Mohegan Sun

Such is the detail of the painting on the wall ... that, I discover a new meaning or a hidden image every time I ... well ... every time I take a leak! Yep, its hung on the office restroom wall so that its about 8 inches from the leaker's face. It's as if by design, to get your 100% attention when you are at your most relaxed 50 seconds of the day. Jeez! ... think of it ... this would have been the artist's dream come true ... audience's undivided attention ... several times over in a day. The entire purpose of pin-drop quite art galleries bang in the middle of the most expensive real estate in virtually every major city of the world ... replicated to perfection, in the restroom. But an art collector after buying an artist's work, saying "Well Sir, as a mark of my appreciation, I'll be hanging this in my office restroom", would surely not go down well with any artist. Why? ... because it's not obvious enough. What's obvious enough is ... the